The Petroleum Engineering Department’s vision of distinction is to lead the world in education, training, research and innovation for the responsible and sustainable acquisition and development of subsurface energy resources.
Our mission is to provide the necessary skills at the undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education levels to serve the world in developing conventional and unconventional hydrocarbon resources, water resources, and geothermal energy, while promoting cutting-edge research to improve resource recovery, advancing technologies to combat environmental problems, such as carbon sequestration and other earth disposal processes, and to foster the socially responsible development of Earth’s resources.
In light of our vision and perceived mission, we set our strategic goals as follows:
- We will educate undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education students to be problem solvers based on science and engineering technology.
- We will innovate, pioneer, and lead in fundamental, long-term research and technology development.
- We will inform the general public, government and non-government entities, and the news media about the technical issues of socially responsible energy development.
- Center for Underground to design, demonstrate rapid tunneling technology
The Center for Underground at Colorado School of Mines recently was awarded a major contract from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to design and demonstrate rapid tunneling t …
- Methane in the atmosphere is increasing but rapid growth in shale development may not be to blame
The findings, published today in the journal Scientific Reports and led by Mines' Alexei Milkov, are the result of a detailed analysis of a large global dataset of the isotopic composition of met …
- Berik Burgumbayev: "I chose Mines because it has one of the most prestigious Petroleum Engineering programs in the world."
Why did you choose to come to Mines? What have you enjoyed most about being here? I went through a long search for grad school, comparing many options at different universities. At the end, only one c …
- Mines PetroBowl team qualifies for international championships
The Society of Petroleum Engineers student competition is "like ‘Jeopardy!’ but for petroleum engineers," says team co-captain Niels Snow.
- Linda Battalora named Fryrear Chair for Innovation and Excellence
Mines alumnus Ben Fryrear ’62 endowed the chairship in 2017 to recognize and support highly accomplished faculty members driving institutional change.