Scholarship and Career Opportunities
There are a variety of scholarships at Mines specifically for petroleum engineering students. The following is a partial list of the scholarships available through the PE department or Financial Aid Office:
Page Key: (U) open only to undergraduate students, (G) open only to graduate students, (B) open to both undergraduate and graduate students
The PE department frequently receives information about outside scholarships, internships and job opportunities. This is a repository for our students regarding those opportunities.
Jobs & Internships
None at this time. Check back soon for more opportunities!
NAEd Dissertation Fellowship Program (G)
Closes Oct 4
The National Academy of Education (NAEd) is offering a $27,500 fellowship to fund 35 promising young scholars for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Does not need to be a US citizen, but must be a candidate for a doctoral degree at a graduate school within the United States.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated record of research experience in educational research.
- Must show a proposed project to an education research project.
- Applications will be judged on the applicant’s past research record, career trajectory in education research, and the quality of the project described in the application.
Xcela Wealth Scholarship (B)
Due December 15
The Xcela Wealth Scholarship was designed with future leaders (students) in mind. This $1,000 scholarship is open to all students from high school seniors about to start college to post-docs. To enter for a chance to receive this scholarship you must write a 500-word essay on the topic: “What are Unique Ways People Have Reached Financial Stability?” More details at http://xcelawealthscholarship.com/
2019 Ford Foundation Fellowship Program (G)
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine is accepting applications for the 2019 Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs. Eligibility and online application information are available on the Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs website.
Through its Fellowship Programs, the Ford Foundation seeks to increase the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the educational benefits of diversity, and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.
- S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card), as well as individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program (DACA) program, political asylees, and refugees, regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation
- Individuals with evidence of superior academic achievement (such as grade point average, class rank, honors or other designations), and
- Individuals committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level in a research-based field of science, social science, or humanities
- Predoctoral–$24,000 per year for three years
- Dissertation–$25,000 for one year
- Postdoctoral–$45,000 for one year
Awardees will have expenses paid to attend at least one Conference of Ford Fellows. Approximately 70 predoctoral, 36 dissertation, and 24 postdoctoral fellowships will be awarded.
Application Deadline Dates:
- Predoctoral: December 13, 2018(5:00 PM EST)
- Dissertation: December 6, 2018(5:00 PM EST)
- Postdoctoral: December 6, 2018(5:00 PM EST)
Supplementary Materials receipt deadline for submitted applications is January 8, 2019 (5:00 PM EST)
Jobs & Internships
Newfield Internship (U)
Career Fair Sept 11
Apply to Newfield’s Summer 2019 Petroleum Engineering internship position through diggernet. Newfield will be conducting interviews the day after the career fair – if selected, they will reach out to you directly.
Newfield Exploration engineers and human resource professionals will be available at the Career Fair on Sept 11 to discuss industry in general, life after college as a professional engineer, Newfield, and any other questions regarding petroleum engineering to learn more about the career path as a petroleum engineer.
Internship- Petrotech Engineering, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (B)
Application Deadline Sept. 11, 2018
Diggernet job #61436
Engineering Interns will gain hands-on experience across Operations, Production, Drilling, or Reservoir Engineering. Interns will assist engineers with basic and routine engineering assignments requiring basic knowledge of engineering principles. Assignments may include research and analysis, field observations, and providing technical support to engineering staff. The intern should be able to work in a safe manner at all times and demonstrate company core values.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university or currently enrolled in an Engineering degree from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) program required.
- Petroleum, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering degree preferred.
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale preferred.
- Experience in the oil & natural gas industry through prior internships and/or field work preferred.
Summer Literature Review (U)
Sponsor: Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission — State of Colorado
Contractor: Colorado School of Mines
Faculty involved: Drs. Soutir Bandyopadhyay & Willy Hereman (AMS Dept.) and Will Fleckenstein (PE Dept.)
Scope: The Commission is interested in the application of a risk model to prioritize integrity monitoring of above-ground and below-ground flow lines.
Job description: You and fellow students would be assisting us in a search for literature related to risk monitoring of oil, water, and gases through flow lines.
Training: The faculty will provide training on how to conduct the search, in particular, provide search phrases, targets, show how to validate results, report the findings, save search results, etc.
Expertise: Nothing specific. Familiarity with search tools (Google), DropBox, and GoogleDocs.
Starting date: around June 15, 2018 (flexible)
Ending date: end of August, might extend into the early Fall semester
Team: 3 undergraduate students in total, under joint supervision of the three faculty members
Duration: 8 to 10 weeks per student
Commitment: about 20 hrs/week per student (flexible, depending on availability of team members)
Payment: $12/hr with potential increases based on performance to a max of $15/hr
Total compensation: $3,600 per student
Location: Mines (flexible, some work can be done off campus)
Contingency: approval of pending contract with the State of Colorado (expected early June)
If interested, please respond directly to Dr. Will Fleckenstein.
Dr. William W. Fleckenstein, PE (CA #1666)
CERSE Director of Strategic Relationships and Enterprises
SPE Distinguished Lecturer, 2017-18
Colorado School of Mines – Petroleum Engineering Dept.
1600 Arapahoe St.
Golden, CO 80401
NRC Research Associateship Program (G)
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine sponsors awards for postdoctoral and senior researchers at participating federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. These awards include generous stipends ranging from $45,000 – $80,000 per year for recent Ph.D. recipients, and higher for additional experience. Limited graduate level awards are also available. These awards provide the opportunity for recipients to do independent research in some of the best-equipped and staffed laboratories in the U.S. Research opportunities are open to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and for some of the laboratories, foreign nationals.
Four annual review cycles:
- May: Opens March 1; Closes May 1
- August: Opens June 1; Closes August 1
- November: Opens September 1; Closes November 1
- February: Opens December 1; Closes February 1
Applicants should contact prospective Research Adviser(s) at the lab(s) prior to the application deadline to discuss their research interests and funding opportunities.
Aera Internship (U)
Diggernet job # 60552
Job closes on April 29th.
Aera just posted one open spot for an internship this summer. Must have a 3.0+ GPA.
Drilling Rig Posistions at Helmerich and Payne (U)
Diggernet job #60492
Helmerich and Payne, a drilling contractor, has openings for non-supervisory positions on their drilling rigs. The position can be applied to on their website at https://www.hpinc.com underneath careers-àview opportunities in Drilling & Field Operations à Non-supervisory Rig-Based Drilling Positions (U.S. Land, Offshore and/or International). See Non-supervisory rig-based drilling position description. If interested, please contact Jace Dinkel, a recent Mines alumnus, at Jace.Dinkel@hpidc.com.
Governor's Energy & Environmental Fellows (B)
Priority Deadline March 30
The Governor’s Energy & Environment Fellows Program is designed to develop the next generation of energy & environment leaders in Colorado. Our 2018 Fellowship is currently accepting applicants for a Summer start date and will provide graduate students placement in the Governor’s Office or a state agency. Possible agency placements include the Department of Natural Resources, Department of Public Health and Environment, Energy Office, and the Outdoor Recreation Office. This is an unpaid opportunity.
Fellows will also have other opportunities available to them such as participating in cabinet-level working group, deliver a capstone project to Executive Leadership, attend monthly brown-bag lunches with the Governor’s Cabinet and senior staff, state legislators, regulators, industry partners, academics, and community officials, and participate in field visits to industry sites.
For more information, the fellowship application and directions on how to apply, please visit our site here.
Skylar Exploration Operations Posistion (B)
Skylar Exploration is looking for an Operations person assisting their Team in their operated wells including production/facilities and completions. As experience is gained, drilling will be slowly included. This position will be based out of the Boulder, CO Office and would require limited travel. Contact Monty Shed, Vice President – Operations Manager, with a letter of interest and resume.
BLM Internships (U)
Office-Based Reservoir Management Intern
Diggernet job #60157
The BLM is currently looking to fill an internship position that will serve as a Reservoir Management Intern, duty stationed at the Colorado State Office during the Spring/Summer/Fall of 2018. This position will support the Branch of Fluid Minerals, specifically the Reservoir Management Group. The work is primarily located in the Colorado State Office but could require travel to other locations within the State, depending on priorities.
The ideal candidate would be a college student working towards a degree, or having graduated with a degree, in engineering, geology, pre-law, or law. This intern’s duties would include assisting in paying well determinations, drainage case reviews, oil and gas agreement reviews, record management, and other reservoir management activities. The applicant must be self-motivated, able to write reports, and keep updated records. It is preferred that the intern have a good understanding of math and science.
Since it is expected that the intern will still be in school, the hours worked per week and the start date are flexible to allow the student time to work on their degree. This is a 760-hour position.
Office-Based Oil and Gas Leasing Intern
Diggernet job #60158
The BLM is currently looking to fill an internship position that will serve as an Oil and Gas Intern, duty stationed at the Colorado State Office during the Summer of 2018. This position will support the Branch of Fluid Minerals. The work is primarily located in the Colorado State Office.
This position is for a high school senior or college freshman or sophomore interested in learning more about Federal oil and gas leasing, legal land descriptions, lease files, and unit agreements. The applicant must be detail-oriented, have good verbal and written communication skills, and have the ability to accurately maintain updated records.
Intern must have demonstrated ability to use the current suite of ESRI GIS software, extensions, ability to develop and analyze spatial information with GIS. Have practical knowledge of appropriate geodatabase design principles. Have knowledge of geographic projections, datum’s, and geospatial data. This is a 760-hour position.
CRC Engineering Internship (B)
California Resources Corporation (CRC) is looking for students pursuing a Bachelors or Master’s degree in Petroleum, Chemical, Mechanical, or any-related engineering field to participate in our 2018 Summer Internship Program.
- Petroleum Engineering majors preferred
- Current sophomore or junior with grad dates of December 2018, Spring-Winter 2019, or 2020
- Deadline to submit resumes: March 18, 2018 to Layus@crc.com
- Phone Interviews: Early-April
- Offers Extend: Mid-April
See attached flyer for more information.
BP Sophomore Experience (U)
Applications open January 1- March 1
The Sophomore Experience program is an exciting, all expenses paid, week-long program that delivers a unique opportunity for you to learn about life in BP’s Supply & Trading Organization. Supply & Trading is the commercial face for BP, and provides commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills for the business. They are looking for students of any major who demonstrate high potential, have strong academic and extracurricular backgrounds and who have a well-articulated interest in BP and our industry.
See bp.com/us-studentopps for program details and to apply.
BP STEP (U)
Applications open January 1- March 1
The BP STEP (Shaping Talent, Energy and Potential) program provides a unique opportunity for Engineering students to gain real-world leadership skills and valuable insight into the energy industry.
Open to freshmen or sophomores. See bp.com/us-studentopps for program details and to apply.
BP Scholars Program (U)
BP knows you’re the future of the energy industry. That’s why we’re looking for high-achieving candidates to join our scholarship programme.
If you want to pursue a career in one of the areas below, you could be awarded a $5000 BP scholarship towards your undergraduate studies. We’ll also offer you the opportunity to visit one of our offices so you can experience at first-hand what life’s like at BP and gain a different perspective of the industry.
See bp.com/us-studentopps for program details and to apply.
Pan American Energy Internship (U)
Deadline for Mines students is January 25, 2018.
Apply via DiggerNet Job ID 59578. It is important to access this through DiggerNet in order to click APPLY there so that the Pan American Energy contact who is in DiggerNet has immediate access whenever desired; then students should also complete the online process. It is a quick application with just resume and cover letter. This internship is unpaid but expenses are covered.
MI3 Petroleum Engineering Temp Job (B)
MI3 Petroleum Engineering is looking to fill several temporary junior-level part-time and full-time Geologist and Petrophysicist positions. Starting in February/ March and Ending in May.
- UG or Grad student
- Must have valid passport
- Completion of well logging course & understanding of those principals
- Able to work 20+ hours a week
MI3 will provide the necessary training on software and workflows required for the job. Most of the training and work will take place at MI3’s office located in Golden CO.
See attached for full job qualifications and application information.
Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) with DOE (U)
2018 Summer Term. Applications are due January 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM ET.
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student and have completed at least one year as a matriculating undergraduate student at the time of applying.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Must be a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident at the time of applying.
Application and more information at https://science.energy.gov/wdts/suli/.
Chevron Blended Skill Set Scholarship (B)
Closes Aug 31
Chevron is offering two $4,000 scholarships.
Undergraduate Scholarship Criteria:
- Students pursuing an undergraduate degree in Geology, Geophysics, or Petroleum Engineering
- Currently enrolled as a Sophomore or Junior
- Currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours of computer science classes (CS minor preferred)
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum GPA of 3.3
Graduate Scholarship Criteria
- Students pursuing a graduate degree in Computer Science with an undergraduate degree in Geology, Geophysics, or Petroleum Engineering or
Students pursuing a graduate degree in Geology, Geophysics, or Petroleum Engineering with an undergraduate degree or a minor in Computer Science.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum GPA of 3.3
Whiting Petroleum Scholarship (U)
Applications Due September 5th, 2018
Whiting Petroleum is offering six (6) $3,000 scholarships to Mines students!
- Undergraduate student
- Enrolled as a Junior for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Petroleum Engineering or Geology Major
- Documented financial need (FAFSA on file with Financial Aid)
QEP Scholarship (U)
Due Aug 31, 2018
With a proud legacy and an exciting future, QEP Resources is a leading independent crude oil and natural gas exploration and production company focused on some of the most prolific resource plays in the continental United States.
QEP is providing six $5,000 scholarships to Mines students.
- Full time student with freshman or sophomore status
- Must be working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering or a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Geoscience
- Minimum 2.8 cumulative GPA
- Cover letter stating interest in pursuing a career in the oil and gas industry
- Must be a US Citizen of Permanent Resident
Devon Energy Scholarship (U)
Closes Aug 30
Devon Energy is providing five (5) $1,000 scholarships to freshman Petroleum Engineering Students.
- Full time student
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (if applicable)
- Must be a US Citizen of Permanent Resident
ARCS Scholarship (B)
Closes Aug 30
ARCS is offering Mines students ten (10) $6,500 scholarships to Mines students.
- Undergraduate Student (sophomore, junior, senior)
- Graduate Student
- Enrolled full-time the entire 2018-2019 academic year.
- Must be in the fields of natural sciences, engineering, or mathematics
- US Citizen
- Financial Need (FAFSA on file with Financial Aid)
SM Energy Scholarship (B)
Due Aug 30
SM Energy is providing three $2,500 scholarships.
- Undergraduate student who has completed 30 or more credit hours
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Undergraduate student pursuing Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate – pursuing MS degree in Petroleum Engineering
- Current resume
- Must be US Citizen or Permanent resident
Dallas SPE Undergrad Scholarship (U)
Due June 6
The application for academic year 2018-2019 is now available at http://connect.spe.org/dallas/scholarships/application
Western Digital Scholarships for STEM (U)
Applications Due May 3, 2018
Western Digital is committed to addressing access to STEM education for underrepresented and underprivileged students. The Western Digital Scholarship program will award up to 500, one-time scholarships per year. The maximum total award per recipient is $5,000 USD. Scholarships are currently awarded to deserving students in the following countries:
- United States
*Our current program in Israel is through a separate partnership with Silicon Valley Community Foundation and ATIDIM.
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on academic excellence, demonstrated leadership in extracurricular and / or community activities, financial need, and the overall quality of the application.
- Undergraduate student enrolled on a full-time basis at a four-year accredited University located in the countries where scholarships are being offered
- Majoring in Computer Science (B.S. programs only), Engineering, Mathematics or Science (excluding agricultural sciences, health and other life sciences)
- Minimum grade average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent
- Demonstrated financial need
- Traditionally under-represented populations in the STEM disciplines, including females and individuals of African-American or Latino descent in the United States
Chevron HENAAC Scholarship (U)
Due April 30, 2018
Provides highly-competitive, $5,000 merit-based scholarships to undergraduate students with a minimum 3.0 GPA, pursuing a field of study relevant to Chevron and demonstrate a strong interest in Chevron. Applicants must be of Hispanic origin and/or must significantly demonstrate leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Note that there is an additional questionnaire you must download and complete for your application.
AIPN Scholarship (B)
Due by 27 April 2018
Open to UG and Grad students.
Annually, the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators sponsors a scholarship awarded to students who demonstrate strong character, academic ability, and potential to make a significant contribution to the field of international oil and gas negotiations.
Summer Teaching Fellowship (U)
Generation Teach partners with local schools to provide high-school and undergraduate students with high-quality summer teaching experiences to inspire them to pursue careers in urban teaching. The Denver Summer Teaching Fellowship includes two weeks of intensive training and five weeks of teaching small groups of middle-school students. Teaching Fellows receive daily coaching and support, as well as a $2,000 taxable scholarship. Check out this flier, visit generationteach.org, or email email@example.com to learn more about the fellowship opportunity. Upcoming application deadline is April 5.
Wyoming Petroleum Section of SPE Scholarships (U)
Due 13 April 2018
The Wyoming Petroleum Section of the Society of Petroleum Engineers looks for students who excel both academically and socially, have an interest in the petroleum industry, are involved with extracurricular activities, and are eager to contribute to the petroleum industry.
See the WY SPE 2018-2019 Scholarship Application for details.
Four Corners Section SPE Scholarships (U)
Deadline for submission is 11:59 PM March 16, 2018
The Four Corners Section of the Society of Petroleum Engineers is pleased to offer multiple one year awards, ranging from $500-$2000, to students who meet the criteria established under the goals of the scholarship program.
- Selected applicants must maintain an overall Grade Point Average of 3.0 out of 4.0 to continue to receive the renewable scholarship.
- Continue to pursue an undergraduate degree in petroleum engineering, a related discipline, or to a career in the petroleum exploration and production industry.
- Official transcripts must be submitted. If the transcripts are not received, the application will be considered invalid.
Scholarship recipients will be notified before the June 2018 SPE Four Corners meeting and are encouraged to attend the meeting for recognition.
Joseph King McMahon Petroleum Engineering Scholarship (U)
Application and attachments due by March 1, 2018
The Texas Alliance of Energy Producers is offering a $2,500 scholarship.
- Must be a U. S. citizen.
- Must be majoring in Petroleum engineering (declared major).
- Must be an overall GPA of 3.0 or better (current transcript required).
- Must be classified as a sophomore or higher when completing application. The scholarship shall be used only for an undergraduate degree in petroleum engineering.
- Must be enrolled as a full time student for the duration of the scholarship.
- Must demonstrate leadership abilities and involvement in student and community organizations.
American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) Scholarships (U)
Deadline extended to 1/19/2018
ACEC is an organization of Colorado professional engineering consultants that are highly involved in their community, and seek out students for paid internship programs.
- Entering junior, senior or fifth degree year in Fall 2018 (NOTE: Students graduating in December of that academic year are not eligible.)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Is a full-time student as determined by the university.
- Has an understanding of the consulting engineering profession.
- Be sure to allow time for recommendations to be completed by others.
- There will be 10 scholarships available for the 2018-2019 school year, ranging from $2,000 to $6,000. The total amount of scholarship dollars up for grabs this year will be $30,500.
- Generally, there are less than 30 applicants, so there are pretty good odds of winning.
- So even if a student doesn’t win a scholarship, the members get an opportunity to see an applicant’s background, and it can lead to job opportunities.
The link below can be used to access the application packages. The home page also has a job board for students interested in consulting internships. http://acec-co.org/scholarships-awards/scholarships-for-students/
BP Scholarship (U)
BP is offering $5,000 scholarships to university students studying in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Business. Students will also be offered an opportunity to visit a BP location and experience first-hand what life is like at BP.
Applications are currently open to all undergraduates. Deadline to submit completed application is November 11th, 2017. To learn more, please go to www.bp.com/us-studentopps.
SPE Denver Scholarship (U)
Applications due to PE department by 11/16/2017.
Open to juniors and seniors.
- Carry a course load of 12 hours or more for undergraduate students.
- Pursue Bachelors in Petroleum Engineering.
- Be a member of the student section SPE.
- Print out hard copy, SIGN and DATE, and attach an unofficial transcript.
- Return to PE Office, Debra Marrufo.
- Any questions, please refer them to Professor Elio Dean, SPE Student Chapter Advisor.
Application is attached
HSF Scholarship (B)
Due March 30
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholarship is designed to assist students of Hispanic heritage obtain a college degree. Awards are based on merit; amounts range from $500 to $5,000, based on relative need, among the Scholars selected.
- Must be of Hispanic Heritage
- Minimum of 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) for College and Graduate Students
- Plan to enroll Full-Time in an accredited, not-for-profit, 4-year university, or graduate school, during the FALL of a scholarship cycle (year); all majors accepted.
- U.S. Citizen, Permanent Legal Resident, DACA or Eligible Non-Citizen (as defined by FAFSA)
Details and application here.